Meat with yogurt and garlic sauce (Shakreya)
- Combine water in a pot over a medium heat with onions, celery, carrot and bay leaf.
- Add meat, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour or until meat is tender.
- Skim off scum whenever appears.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat; add small onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Beat yogurt with cornstarch and egg, season with salt and pepper.
- Stir yogurt mixture with onion and meat stock (about 3 cups).
- Lift meat, add it to yogurt mixture, let boil for about 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan, saute garlic, add cilantro and stir, set aside.
- Serve Shakerya hot, garnish with cilantro mixture.
1 bay leaf
1 kilo lamb or beef, boneless, cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 kilo small onions, peeled
3 cups yogurt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Salt and white pepper
2 tablespoons ghee
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped