Upside-down knuckled grape leaves
- Wash knuckles with salted water, rinse and pat dry.
- Heat around 8 cups of water, add mixed vegetables and spices, bring to a boil, and add knuckles.
- Boil, reduce heat and skim off scum off the top.
- Season with salt and pepper, simmer until knuckles are tender, lift, drain and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Mix rice in a bowl with herbs and spice.
- Add tomato and half the olive oil (Little amount of chopped knuckles can be added to the mixture).
- Lay grape leaf flat on a plate (shiny side down).
- Place about one to two teaspoon of the rice mixture near bottom of the leaf (stem end), the amount of stuffing will depend on the size of the leaves.
- Press stuffing into a small sausage-like shape.
- Fold the sides of the leaf over the filling toward the center, then roll up firmly but not too tight into a cylinder shape.
- Put remaining oil in a pot, Line bottom with the sliced onion and potato.
- Layer rolled leaves in the pot in circular way, make sure to leave a hollow space in the middle to place the knuckles.
- Cut some knuckles into medium cubes after deboning it.
- Distribute them between layered grape leaves.
- Place remaining boned knuckles in the middle of the pot, make sure it?s surrounded with stuffed grape leaves.
- Cover grape leaves and knuckles with stock and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling, cover and reduce heat, simmer for about an hour or until knuckles are tender and grape leaves are cooked, serve warm.
1 Kilo beef knuckles, cut into 3 cm thickness
mixed vegetable (carrot, onion, celery), cut into cubes
4 whole cardamom pods
2 bay leaves
2 pieces Mastic
salt and pepper
1/4 cup lemon juice
For stuffed grape leaves
3 cups medium grain rice, washed and drained
1 cup dill, parsley, cilantro, mint leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Salt and pepper
1 cup tomato, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 jar grape leaves, rinsed, drained
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium potato, sliced