Lentil Rice & Shrimps (Mumawwash)
- Rinse and drain lentils. Rinse and soak rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Rub shrimps with 1 tablespoon of spices and I tablespoon of dill, season with salt. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of each olive oil and clarified butter in a pan over medium heat. Add 1 onion, garlic. Sauté for 2minutes or until golden brown.
- Add lentils, the remaining quantity of spices and dill. Stir until well combined.
- Crush saffron, mix with stock, add it to the lentils.
- Poke a hole in the dried lemon, using the edge of a small sharp knife.
- Add the lemon and the peppers to the lentils mixture.
- Drain rice; add it to the mixture, stirring constantly.
- Let come to a boil, lower the heat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Heat the remaining quantity of oil and clarified butter in another pan over medium heat; add the remaining onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add shrimps and tamarind paste. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve lentils and rice mixture in a big plate with shrimps on top. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and coriander.
Usually prepared with dried shrimps, but we used fresh shrimps for a twist.
1 Cup mung bean (eyed - green lentils)
1 1/2 Cup basmati rice
1/2 Kg shrimps, peeled and deveined, tail-on
2 Tablespoons ground spices (cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric)
2 Tablespoons dried dill
4 Tablespoons olive oil
4 Tablespoons clarified butter
2 Onions, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon saffron
1 Dried lemon, whole (Omani Lumi)
2 Chili pepper (optional)
1 Tablespoon tamarind paste
Tomato and coriander, chopped for garnish