Grilled Quail with Cracked Wheat
- Wash quail and soak in a little water with one teaspoon of vinegar, then rinse and drain.
- Cut quail in half lengthwise from the back (using scissors).
- Put the quail halves and press by hand, until bones are broken and become flat.
- Mix remaining vinegar, half the date molasses dates and a one spoonful of olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Season quails with mixture, cover and place in fridge for at least an hour, to imbued with flavor (can be prepared a day before).
- Heat grill on medium heat, and preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place quail on grill, so that the quail is not indirect compact, turn after 5 minutes until it takes the barbecue marks.
- Remove quail from the grill, place in the oven dish and sprinkle with the remaining mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a pan over medium heat and add onion, stir for 3 minutes.
- Add cracked wheat, dry apricot and chicken broth, stir, and season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the mixture and leave for 15 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Place cracked wheat in a serving dish, arrange quail on top and decorate with beet slices, cheese chunks and pine nuts.